Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Different Kind of Wheel


I think that I'm on pretty safe ground to say that no one has ever used a keg of wine as their Wheel of Fortune before. But the original illustration even included the X on the front of the barrel. it was just too good to resist. And Mister Punch is certainly in command in the Sphinx position on top. 

Unfortunately, I think my limitations as a colorist are showing on this one. I'm not entirely satisfied with the way it turned out, but the nice thing is that at this stage nothing is set in stone. I may lighten up the figures or change the colors entirely. 

Like the Hierophant card, the base illustration is a Victorian-era cartoon that appeared in the pages of Britain's top magazine of political and social satire, PUNCH. 

As an aside, the font I've chosen was designed to emulate the hand-lettering of Maxfield Parrish. 

Thanks for visiting, and I always love to hear feedback... especially now, when I can still change things!

-- Frede.